Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Training Recap

As I mentioned in my blog post today, things are going really well. My body comp is improving, my strength is getting better, and orthopedically I feel really good (knocks on wood). Here's a brief rundown of the past four sessions:

Today - 9/30

Inside-Out warm-up

Reverse Band Bench (green band), 5x275, 285, 295

While I have no intentions of doing a meet soon, I figure it's a good idea to get some heavy weights in my hands. My warm-ups and first set felt terrible, though. The reason? Shitty plates. Some of the 45's that we have in the gym must be 5 pounds off - seriously. Once I switched out the offending 45, the second two sets felt much better.

DB Rows, 3x5 w/90#

Face Pulls, 3x8 w/70#

Bi's, Tri's and Dead Bugs, 3x8

Good workout overall. I was late getting to the gym so no energy system work.


Saturday 9/27

This wasn't a bad workout, but it wasn't a great one either. I was resting (aka coaching) too much, so I didn't get as much volume in as I would've liked.

Speed Pulls, 3x1 w/365

Felt like a ton of bricks - I was hoping to go heavier but bagged it for another day.

Trap Bar Deads, 5x245, 295, 335

This was only the second time I've done these, but they felt much better than before. Now that I have a point of reference I'm going to push them for the next 3-4 weeks.

Glute-Hams (#3), 3x6


Thursday 9/25

Mini-band assisted chins, 8, 7, 5

It's amazing how much better chins feel when you're not a total fatty. Interesting.

Blast Strap Push-ups, 3x10

Face Pulls, 3x8 w/70

Skullcrushers, BB Curls, and Ab Wheel ISO Rollouts, 3x8 and 3x15 s. holds

Airdyne Sprints + MB Slams

Good workout; had the same plate issue when doing skullcrushers, though, which was disappointing. You know the weights are skewed when the bar is perfectly centered on the bench and one side is at least 2" lower than the other!


Tuesday 9/23

This was the post-Vegas workout, so I was feeling stiff from all the travel and a long day on Monday. My primary goal was to get some good mobility in and loosen things up going forward.

Plate Front Squats w/mini-band, 3x10 w/25

RDL's, 3x6 (225 then 245)

Glute-Hams, 3x6

Prowler Pushes, 4x50 yards

Tall Kneeling Pallof Press ISO, 2x30 s. w/30#