Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Recent training

Saturday - Lower body pull emphasis

Deadlifts, 3x315, 1x405, 1x425, 1x455

Felt pretty good overall. I lost my lordosis a little on the 455, so I stopped for the day. Strength was better than expected, though.

Trap Bar Deadlifts, 5x225, 3x315, 5x315, 3x365, 2x405

I hadn't ever done these before, so I played around with them a bit. More than anything, I found my grip to be a limiting factor here as I wasn't sure where to grip it at. Felt pretty good though.

Glute Ham Raises, 3x8 (Hole #4)

Ab Wheel Rollouts, 3x8

I hit a ton of golf balls this night, as my wife bought me a pair of clubs for my upcoming birthday. Needless to say, I was a little sore the next day ;)



Tuesday - Lower body squat day

I didn't do a whole lot today -motivation was a little low and I had a ton of other things going on. What I did do was productive though.

Front Squats, 3x135, 3x185 (to 12" box)

Good clean reps. Hip mobility and lumbar stability are looking and feeling good.

Back Squats, 5x225, 5x275 (to 14" box)

Went an inch deeper this week and it appeared as though my back position was staying neutral. I think another inch or so and I'll be below parallel, so things are coming around here. It's taken a little while, but I think the reward will be worth it (i.e. better hip mobility and a healthy low back over the long haul!)

Step-ups, 2x8 with 50's

Tall Kneeling Cable Chop, 2x8 with 50#

It was short and sweet, but I'm really encouraged by my squat patterns overall. If I can clean up a little lagging L-R asymmetry, I should be doing really well.

Stay strong
MR